The terms that an employer may seek to include in the contract of employment will depend on the type of contract itself, the position being offered, the norms for the sector. They will also depend on the circumstances of the individual organisation. The sample contract attached complies with the Terms of Employment (Information) Acts 1994 and 2014 and details other clauses to include in a standard contract of employment. This is a specimen, guideline contract only. It will need tailoring and additions to meet the needs of the company and specific specialist advice should be sought from Ibec.
When appointing a new employee, an employer should also ensure that he or she is issued with copies of important company policies, such as:
- disciplinary policy and procedures;
- grievance policy and procedures;
- anti-bullying and harassment policy;
- equal opportunities policy;
- restrictive covenants;
- health and safety statement;
- absence and attendance policy.